May’s issue of Jersey Jazz is out - do you have your copy?
- The USPS has issued a commemorative Forever stamp honoring Newark’s Sarah Vaughan - perhaps you missed the ceremony and concert, but be sure to choose this special Music Icon stamp for your mail.
- We honor celebrated photographer Chuck Stewart, recipient of NJJS 2016 Jazz Advocate award for his outstanding contribution to the jazz community, by capturing the essence and key moments in the lives of great musicians.
- Gypsy jazz guitarist Olli Soikkeli is Schaen Fox’s interviewee this month. One of the founders of Rhythm Future Quartet, Olli first visited New York in 2012, and moved here from Finland in 2014. His exuberant story is a wonderful read - and he’s recorded a number of CDs available on his and/or the band’s website, which would be a great addition to your collection.
- If you missed Grover Kemble’s tribute show “Durante!” in February, read all about it - and then mark your calendar for his return performance in October.
- When was the last time you went to see the legendary (and always amusing) Marty Grosz perform? He just celebrated his 86th birthday - check your copy or his website for information about his upcoming events.
- If you’re contemplating a trip to the Persian Gulf sometime soon, be sure to read about Jazz at Lincoln Center’s subsidiary in Doha’s, Qatar, located in the St. Regis Hotel - you’ll be set to book your tickets!
- If you’re in the process of building your jazz collection, be sure to take note of the CD reviews - this month’s issue covers classic iconic recordings in addition to the regular reviews.
- Do you have a favorite venue in New Jersey to listen to live jazz that is not on our venues list? If so, please click on the link to email the list administrator and let us have the details so that we can spread the word.
In addition to many interesting pieces in this month’s issue, there are ads for dozens of opportunities to enjoy live jazz in New Jersey and its surrounds. To receive your copy of the Jersey Jazz Journal, become a member by clicking on the Membership tab above!