November’s issue of Jersey Jazz is out - do you have your copy?
- We sadly had to say goodbye to Phil Woods, four-time Grammy award winner, recipient of the Living Jazz Legend award, Jazz Master for the National Endowment of the Arts, and an inspiration to many. Even non-jazz fans have probably heard his work, on Billy Joel’s “Just the Way You Are”, Paul Simon’s “Have a Good Time” and Steely Dan’s “Dr. Wu”, to name a few.
- There are a number of jazz festivals and special concerts happening in November - check this issue, and get your tickets! And if you were out of town the third weekend in September, you missed five fabulous outdoor jazz festivals - read all about them, and be sure to block out that weekend in your calendar for next year’s festivities.
- Harvey S, prolific and talented bassist, is interviewed by Schaen Fox - he has a fascinating story, and he’s recently been working with guitarist Sheryl Bailey. They have just released a CD of original compositions “Plucky Strum”. Also in the works - a new CD of standards and originals.
- Are you new to the Jersey Jazz Society? We’ve been around for almost fifty years! If you’d like to get an idea of what’s been happening during that time, Jack Stine’s “Letter for a Jazzy New Niece” shouldn’t be missed.
- The holidays are coming and membership to Jersey Jazz Society (including a subscription to this fabulous award-winning journal) would make a perfect all-year gift for your favorite jazz fan. If you’re a current member, a gift membership is discounted 50% - don’t delay!
In addition to many interesting pieces in this month’s issue, there are ads for dozens of opportunities to enjoy live jazz in New Jersey and its surrounds. To receive your copy of the Jersey Jazz Journal, become a member by clicking on the Membership tab above!